Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Teenage musings..

Hey all,
This is the article which I wrote for a leading newspaper in the city(The Hindu).It is yet to be published,just thought I'd post it here. :)
I’m your regular teenager, no don’t mistake me, I’m not an outlandish sort of one-I haven’t pierced my belly-button or coloured my hair to match the rainbow. I’m a normal teenage girl, with interests just like anyone else my age. So it came as no shock to my mother when I announced that I wanted to join theatre. I could see what was running in her head, “Oh no, there she goes again!” I received a long winding lecture about how I must not give in to peer pressure and how theatre can be very harmful to a young girl like me!! How ever, I put my foot down and did what I wanted to do- I joined theatre! The best one I could find! I must have been the most enthusiastic kid in the block. (Grin) I jumped at every opportunity I could lay my hands on and boy did I lay it big!
My first job was to give out flyers for the company at one of the biggest bookstores in town. I was over the moon when I came to know of it. But when it came to the real deal, I was so going to have a tough time. This is for all you people who thought that promotion was easy- well it’s not! It is probably the toughest job for a teenager like me who has done nothing but grab those flyers, glance at them and then crush the glossed paper and throw it in the bin. Being that person who hands out those flyers is a sad sad job. It’s really heartbreaking, when you see that piece of paper being used to throw away gum or crushed in the most merciless manner. Ah! But it’s a fact of life, they say. While one works their backside off, another saunters in and out of the store with not even something as small as a smile or a sympathetic ear to hear what you are rambling on for hours together. So as I try my best to be a good promoter, and try my best to impress you with my permanent smile, please do be good to me and my fellow promoters and not walk away like we never existed and please FOR GOD’S SAKE LISTEN TO WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO SAY INSTEAD OF PRETENDING!
Thank you for your endurance!

3 comments:

Manasa. K .Kumar said...

awww, i get what you mean.
but hey ive neevr crushed any flyer away!

cross my heart and hope to croak like a frog :P

supernova said...

i've been crumpling flyers all this while . But henceforth i'll pay due heed to 'em now dt i gt an idea of the ordeal dey go thru.:)))))

Juhi said...

aes aes!thank you very much!